Monday, November 4, 2019

Goal achieved

Ever since I started my own vegetable garden 18 years ago, I have tried to grow butternut squash. Butternut squash is one of my favorite veggies--- I enjoy it roasted, mashed, pureed into soup. I roast the seeds drizzled with seasoned oil to enjoy as a snack. In addition to the taste, I also like the longevity of the squash. I can stock up at the farmers' market when they are in season and then enjoy them for months.

My real goal, though, was to grow my own. Year after year I tried, sometimes starting from seed, sometimes buying seedlings. Every year I was thwarted. Seeds would fail to sprout, seedlings would grow spindly and die. One year I had a plant grow to maturity and produce one tiny squash. I went away for a few days and when I returned, the plant was dead, the tiny squash shriveled. Gophers had eaten away at the roots.

I gave up for a few years. Some things just aren't meant to be. I grew other things, but not butternut squash. It was just too demoralizing. But then Man of the House built raised beds for me for Christmas and I decided to try again.

The plant grew vigorously, but despite all the blooms only one developed into a squash. I watched it every day, keeping my fingers crossed. After a while I became cautiously optimistic that it might survive. The tomatoes peaked early and the peppers flourished, and slowly, steadily, the one squash kept growing.

I harvested it a few weeks ago. It is a little small, but healthy, a nice, heavy weight for its size.  Thanksgiving is coming up and my first squash will make an appearance at the big meal. This year I will have an additional blessing to be thankful for-- getting to achieve another one of my gardening goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment